With that being said, it's the same scene in early childhood programs today. Computers are a part of many children's preschool experiences. You can generally find at least one computer available for children's use during center or free-choice time. In my experience many early childhood program also have more sophisticated forms of technology present today. With the growing use of technology in the early childhood program, teachers more than ever need to know the best ways to use technology with young children. I find this topic of interest and will be very valuable in my career as an early childhood educator.
Developmentally appropriate practice is an important part of an early childhood classroom and the underlying premise of all educational experiences for young children. To have a developmentally appropriate classroom means teaching young children in ways that
- meet the individual needs of each child and meeting the child where they are in their development
- help each child reach the developmental goals in a challenging and achievable manner as to contribute to his or her ongoing development. The activity needs to be attainable but not impossible for the child to reach.
- recognize that what makes something challenging and achievable will vary depending of the individual learners development in all areas
In developing creativity, there are a variety of technology mediums that help children develop creativity. This occurs when they manipulate, design, and express themselves using the following technology examples
- videorecordings - children can plan and record their own dramatic presentations, dancing, field trips, and other activities around the classroom
- photography - letting the child take pictures allow them to experience their world
- digital cameras - great way to document the activities of the classroom
- iPods and MP3 players - great way to include music
- Interactive White (Smart) Boards - such a diverse tool to use to appeal to the multiple intelligences
- class website
- electronic newsletter
- classroom bog
- Facebook page
Technology is definitely here to stay in the early childhood classroom and computers are a part of many children's early childhood experiences. Technology can enhance the early childhood program by providing variety, interesting learning experiences, allow children to create and develop new ideas, and build on other things that children learn.